Biomedical engineers and technicians are employed within the healthcare system to install, maintain and repair pieces of medical technical equipment.
Biomedical technicians may do some or all of the following:
- advise and consult with medical staff about their equipment requirements
- make surgical equipment and tools
- install and test medical equipment
- examine, maintain and repair equipment
- do quality assurance and electrical safety checks on equipment
- train staff to use equipment and give technical advice and assistance
- help design and develop implants for use during operations – for example, artificial joints.