What do Anaesthetic Technicians do?
Anaesthetic Technicians work mainly in operating theatres providing skilled assistance to the anaesthetist.
To qualify as an Anaesthetic Technician, you must complete a three year Diploma in Applied Science (Anaesthetic Technology) or have an equivalent recognised qualification (e.g. Certificate/Diploma In Operating Department Practice – UK).
While Anaesthetic Technicians work predominantly in operating theatres, we are called upon to work in any area where an anaesthetic may be given. This includes CT, MRI & radiology, emergency departments and intensive care.
Duties will vary between different hospitals, but Anaesthetic Technicians may be involved in patient transfers on air ambulances and resuscitation teams.
As of 1st April 2012, we are now registered under the HPCA Act having been taken on by the Medical Sciences Council Of New Zealand. This is an exciting time for us as a profession, and will hopefully help expand and develop our role within the healthcare sector.
Main Duties Include:
- Checking and maintaining the anaesthetic machines & other related equipment (including Autologous Cell Saver, specialised airway equipment, ultrasound, blood gas analysis (ISTAT)).
- Ensuring the appropriate equipment and drugs are available.
- Assisting with inserting of airway devices and venous/arterial cannulas.
- Act as an advocate for the patient.
Anaesthetic Techs - Delegates:
|Andrew Urquhart||Hastings||Hawke's Bay|
|Fintan Marshall||Tauranga||Bay Of Plenty|
|Christopher Mitchell||Tauranga||Bay Of Plenty|
|Michael Leach||Whakatane||Bay Of Plenty|
|Patricia Smith||Hastings||Hawke's Bay|
|Daneby Liddell||Palmerston North||Midcentral|
|Fleur Bearda||Nelson||Nelson / Marlborough|
|Grant Scarf||Bowen Hospital||Acurity Health Group Auckland|
|Peter Won||Wakefield Hospital||Acurity Health Group Auckland|
|James South||Wakefield Hospital||Acurity Health Group Auckland|
|Natalie Peacock||Royston Hospital||Acurity Health Group Auckland|
Download Collective Agreements
- » MidCentral DHB Anaesthetic Technicians SECA – 03/09/2018 to 31/10/2020.
- » Canterbury DHB Anaesthetic Technicians CEA – 01/10/2017 to 30/09/2020.
- » Mercy Hospital Collective Employment Agreement – 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2022
- » Southern DHB Anaesthetic Technican SECA – 01/11/2017 to 31/10/2020.
- » Bay of Plenty Anaesthetic Technicians CEA – 2017 to 2019.
- » NMDHB Anaesthetic Technicians Collective Agreement 01/11/2017 - 31/10/2020
- » Acurity Health Group Ltd Anaesthetic Technicians Collective Agreement - 01/07/2019 to 31/07/2021
- » HBDHB Anaesthetic Technicians Collective Agreement - 01/08/2018 to 31/07/2021
- » NDHB Anesthetic Technicians Collective Agreement - 18/02/2019 to 30/11/2020
- » Anaesthetic Technicians' Collective Agreement - Lakes DHB - 3 September 2018 to 31 October 2020